This brings everyone outdoors! People that have been cooped up all winter are rearing to go!
This also brings out some not so safe behavior. I see people walking dressed in all black, at dusk. Bikes are darting out across traffic. People chasing dogs or balls out into the streets without looking.
Since lots of streets are without sidewalks in smaller or rural towns, it pays to have good habits, use common sense, and get safety on your side.
- Walk or jog facing or into traffic. Do not have the traffic at your back.
- Wear bright, if not reflective clothing if you will be out at dawn and/or dusk and in the dark.
- If you wear earbuds, keep them at a volume so that you can still hear people and vehicles approaching you.
- Always look both ways when crossing a street. Duh!
- Even if you have the "right of way", remember vehicles are bigger than you and will certainly do more damage to you than you will do to them.